Below is a summary of steps to take to start a pest control business.
- Obtain pesticide certification (the exam may be taken online through Everblue or attending a PSEP Program testing event)
- Have the requirements to take the licensing exam (varies depending on licensing category)
- Take the licensing exam ($150 per exam)
- Obtain insurance
- Obtain bonding (surety bond, $10,000 for all categories except cat 7., $50,000 for first 3 years)
- Obtain a charter from the Tennessee Department of Agriculture (TDA) ($400 every 2 years)
Note: if you plan to apply products containing glyphosate as the sole active ingredient, then you would need LHA certification (also known as C09 certification), and insurance ($300,000). No bonding, license, nor charter would be needed.